Henry Kissinger famously said that “power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.” I disagree. I think fighting for truth, justice, and the American way is way hotter. Think about it! Wasn’t Ulysses S. Grant looking good in those pictures where he was chomping on his cigar, as he plotted his path to save the union?
Fast forward to the 1960s where Malcolm X was hot as a firecracker, as were other freedom fighters like Julian Bond, Angela Davis and Diane Nash who always spoke truth to power as they fought for racial equality. Even President Obama has, on occasion, “Ba-rocked” our world with his quest for justice for all. (Think of the Marriage Equality Act. Rainbow lights on the White House definitely rock.)
Today, we are engaged in a different fight for freedom in America. While Black women want to live in a country where everybody’s vote counts and where folks who work hard can make a decent wage, it seems like all our leaders don’t share our vision. At the federal level, there are more than enough hints that some in the Executive branch and the halls of Congress are more focused on personal gain than the common good and will do just about anything to acquire more money and power. That’s bad news! When there’s corruption at the top, and money has the prevailing vote, democracy is in trouble. Authoritarianism creeps in and then takes over.
Fortunately, the people of the United States have somebody who is looking into all of this. Robert Mueller is the special counsel who was appointed to investigate Russia’s possible illegal tampering into the 2016 Presidential election. He’s hard at work and has already obtained close to 40 indictments and convictions from his probe and it’s related inquiries in the Southern District of New York. Notable convictions include Mike Flynn, former director of National Security for the Trump administration, Michael Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer, and Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign director.
Mueller is a prosecutor and a former G-man – not the usual type to get the “sexy nod”– but when it comes to saving our democracy, here are six reasons why we nominate Mr. Mueller for 2018 Sexiest Man Alive!
- He’s the strong silent type. Nobody knows who is about to go down until he drops the mic in the federal courthouse with an indictment. Knowing when to keep your mouth shut is mysterious and sexy!
- He doesn’t tweet – or as far as I know – cheat! So, he’s not into social media womanizing. That’s SO refreshing in today’s world.
- He’s brainy and no drama – just like our old friend Obama. I now know that brainy and drama-free leadership is SUPER sexy and good for my mental health.
- He’s truthful. The folks whom he indicts tend to plead because he’s got a solid case against them. That’s called focusing on the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
- If Mueller were to say, “I alone can fix this,” I’d buy it, but Mueller would never say that because he believes that the rule of law alone can fix this, not him. That’s so hot!
- He’s getting the job done. How can we not be tuned in and turned on!
Mueller will keep fighting to save this country, and we should too by paying attention to what’s going on, protesting and telling our representatives what we expect to happen if Trump has engaged in illegal behavior. There may be lots of opportunities to think about this given new criminal probes into the Presidential inauguration committee’s use of funds, and the New York state investigation of the Trump “Foundation.”
By the way, I’m also sweet on Letitia James, New York state’s next and newly appointed attorney general. She’s looking like a strong contender for 2019 Sexiest Woman Alive.
As I said, nothing’s hotter than saving democracy!