Feeling angry and overwhelmed by the Shithole in OUR White House?
Here are 5 practical (and inspiring!) things you can do right now to put yourself and your sisters first!
1. Watch @BarackObama interview on David Letterman’s new show, My Next Guest Needs Know Introduction. You’ll weep and breathe more deeply remembering that he and Michelle (and Malia and Sasha!) are not down for the count. We get the sense that they are actually simmering, learning and DETERMINING what’s next!
2. Give $20.18 (or more!) to help elect Stacey Abrams the next Governor of Georgia and become part of the 1,000 women for Stacey tribe. She can (and will!) become the first African American female governor in the history of the U.S. if we all pitch in! (Angela and I were thrilled to meet Stacey in person in February!)
3. Buy a book written by one of your black or brown sisters. We LOVED “Brown Girl Dreaming” by Jacqueline Woodson. According to Ms. Woodson, “I wanted to understand who my mom was before she was my mother and I wanted to understand exactly how I became a writer. So I started researching my life, asking relatives and talking to friends – and mostly, just letting myself remember.”
Woodson is an extraordinary writer. One of her many awards includes the Coretta Scott King Book Award, which is given to an African American author or illustrator for an outstandingly inspirational and educational contribution.
4. Invite a few friends over to watch Queen of Katwe, a beautiful true story Phiona Mutesi, a three-time winner of the Ugandan Women’s Junior Championship. She is one of the first titled female players in Ugandan chess history. And she’s only 22!
5. Join the BlackHer community on Instagram and write for us to share your #BlackHer adventure because “the most powerful thing you can do is tell your own story” – Oprah.
You’ve got this. We’ve got this!
In love and solidarity,
The form you have selected does not exist.