“I AM NO LONGER ACCEPTING THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE. I’M CHANGING THE THINGS I CAN NOT ACCEPT.”
BlackHer is a new media company built for the 24M Black women in the United States. We create content (the BlackHer Weekly and BlackHer Guides) to educate and inspire powerful Black women to take action for personal and collective economic and political change. We also provide our subscribers with discounts on services and events.
Why Black Women?
Black women are civically and economically engaged.
- Black women are enrolling in college at higher rates than other demographics.
- We are the fastest-growing segment of entrepreneurs.
- We had the highest voter turnout (70%) of any demographic in 2012.
- Black women are a key voting bloc and critical to electing progressives. 98% of Black women voted for Doug Jones in the Alabama special election, compared to 35% of White women.
Despite these facts, the vast majority of Black women continue to be left behind. Fifty years after the civil rights movement, Black women have some of the worst economic and political outcomes of any group in the U.S.
- Fewer than 50 Black women have served in Congress since 1950.
- Median wealth for single Black women is $200 vs. $15,000 for single white women.
- Median income for Black women is $36,000 vs. $55,000 for White men.
- Black women make 63 cents for every $1 a White man makes even after controlling for occupation.
By celebrating, educating, and activating each other, we aim to create economic and political change for all Black women.